Sunday, October 20, 2013

HORROR MARATHONS, 2013

The third week of my 31 Days of Horror is nearly complete meaning I'm nearly two-thirds done with this dark and dreary journey. The good news is I'm more than on track to meet my goal of a horror movie per day (31). The bad news is I can't sleep anymore. I'm kidding. I wanted to take a moment to highlight two other horror marathons that are going on in this wonderful cinema ciudad in which I live.



The first is Beyond Fest, which also accepts sci-fi and fantasy under its circus tent of terrors and the outlandish. It's being put on by the American Cinematheque and Amity, with showings at both the Egyptian and Aero Theaters. This week I took part in 6 films (3 double-features) for Beyond Fest over that Aero:



Onibaba / Kuroneko


A Field In England / The Borderlands


The Howling / The Wolf Man

It started on October 10th (with John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13) and runs through Halloween night (with F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, complete with live piano accompaniment). Other highlights include the 8th Annual Dusk-to-Dawn Horrathon at the Aero, which I can't commit myself to attend -though maybe someday, and Goblin performing live to classic Argento films. You can check out the full schedule here.



The second marathon going on in Los Angeles is The United States of Horror over at The Cinefamily. It's a brilliant idea: taking horror films (often overlooked or cult classics) that were made in different states and screening them every midnight in October. Some States will obviously be left out (not Utah though, you better believe they included Troll 2), but it's a fitting tour through what one of the most prolific filmmaking countries in the world has given to the genre over the years. I haven't been out to this marathon yet, not sure if I will, but I'd have seen them all if it were easier/cheaper. See the entire U.S. of Horror line-up here.

In the meantime, lend your eyes to The Film Tome as we march through these last two weeks of October. Expect more updates from my 31 Days of Horror, additional coverage of MOVIECLIPS' 31 Days of Halloween and an occasional Classic Trailer Round-Up of a horror film. 

No comments: