Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - REVIEW (31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN #7)

In addition to my personal 31 Days of Horror (movie marathon) I am part of a 31 Days of Halloween (horror movie review series) with my job at MOVIECLIPS. Each day during the month of October we are going to post a two-man conversation/review of a different horror movie. Yours truly will be featured in a few of these. Here's Jimmy and Andrew reviewing the remake of A Nightmare of Elm Street (of which Jimmy brings particular insight as he worked on the film):


Curator's Note: Of the multitude of A Nightmare on Elm Street movies I have only seen Wes Craven's original 1984 film. I'm in more of a hurry to see some of its sequels than I am in Samuel Bayer's re-imagining. A few words on seeing Craven's original Nightmare for my first time in recent years:


Viewing A Nightmare on Elm Street from an (dis?)advantage of nearly 30 years was a rather eye-opening experience. Some of these sequences, particularly the haunting of Nancy and her friends near the beginning are tremendous. Technically speaking (or more important, practically speaking) the face and claws emerging from the wall and the bedroom blood-letting is great filmmaking. It's unforgettable images like these that let horror live on and haunt you later down the road. Those set-pieces and scare-devices seem to have a longer lasting impact on me than even great performances or dialogue. I do recall things getting particularly dissatisfyingly campy towards the end when it results in Nancy going all Home Alone-alone on Freddy, setting traps throughout the house that he is all too prepared to fall into. Give me a break, or better yet, give me the first half.

No comments: