Thursday, October 3, 2013

THE EXORCIST - REVIEW (31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN #2)

In addition to my personal 31 Days of Horror (movie marathon) I am part of a 31 Days of Halloween (horror movie review series) with my job at MOVIECLIPS. Each day during the month of October we are going to post a two-man conversation/review of a different horror movie. Yours truly will be featured in a few of these. Here's Andrew and Sam discussing the horror "classic" The Exorcist:



(Curator's Note: On the horror reviews I did not sit in on I am going to be offering "My Take" if I have seen the film in question.)


My Take: Last October I saved my virgin viewing of William Friedkin's heavily-lauded horror film The Exorcist for All Hallow's Eve itself. It took home the Severed Head for Biggest Disappointment at The 1st Annual Severed Head Awards here on The Film Tome. Trent pointed out to me during our first After Dark episode that using "the version you haven't seen before" director's cut for my first watch was a grave mistake. Last week I talked to Andrew about the same thing. I personally don't think a few added scenes and effects can completely ruin a film, but the pieces I'm told were later added are indeed among my least favorite moments. I do not feel The Exorcist is a "bad" film. Far, far from it. The first hour is a masterful construction of tension between a mother-daughter relationship, what I felt was much more terrifying than the Rick Baker-led creep show in the bedroom, complete with utterly laughable projectile vomiting and bed gyrating. When/how you first see a movie may be most important with horror films (case in point: read how M. Night Shyalaman's Signs will always be one of the scariest films I'll ever see). Had I scene The Exorcist as a kid, or maybe if I had seen the theatrical version last year, I would be speaking much higher of it. We'll give it another look in a view years, hopefully in a theater.

★★★½

No comments: