Friday, September 6, 2013

RECENTLY BEHELD: JULY 22-28, 2013

Just getting caught up in my Recently Beheld for the several weeks. Here's what little I beheld during the week of July 22nd (surely the lowest week on average for film-consumption this calendar year)...
_________________________________________________________________

Only God Forgives
(2013)


On the night of July 23rd I sat down to write my review for Only God Forgives. I badly wanted to revisit some of the scenes that were particularly hazy to me. (In hindsight I should not have watched this the night I got back from my day at Comic-Con, my fatigue mixed with the trance-like aura of half the film's sequences pretty much put me in an altered state. Who needs drugs when you can watch extremist art films while dazed?) I ended up watching and loving the whole film again. It's one of the year's very best, a pitch-perfect study of punishment and acceptance. Oh, and I finally finished my review a couple nights later.

Full Review

★★★★★
_________________________________________________________________

(2012-13)


I purposefully got Only God Forgives out of my system before going to the Los Angeles premiere of The Act of Killing. Joshua Oppenheimer's relentless exposé on Indonesia's death squad leaders of yesteryear is not only one of the year's most impressive documentaries, it stands to be one of the most important films ever made. It's a surreal journey that I both haven't been able to shake or bring myself to write much about. The Act of Killing is bold, brilliant and crucial to the human race.

★★★★★
_________________________________________________________________


(2013)


James Wan's latest dive into the horror genre has many arrows in its quiver taken from haunted house and possession pictures over the last several decades. There's not much new going on here and it oddly feels like two movies (and casts of characters) mixed into one, but Wan and team harness a camera and a technique better than most their contemporaries that it almost seems unfair. It's a sure step-up from Insidious, we'll see about Insidious 2.

★★★½
_________________________________________________________________


Seen any of these films? What did you see last week? Please feel free to share your thoughts or your own recently beheld in the comments below!

Here's last week's Recently Beheld.

Also, see what else I've seen this year in my Letterboxd diary.

No comments: