Tuesday, September 24, 2013

PREPPING FOR 31 DAYS OF HORROR, ROUND 2


Last year I attempted to watch and review a horror film every single day for the month of October. I watched only 21 and reviewed less than half. Let's see if I can do it this year!

A week from tonight (next Tuesday, October 1st) I will kick off another marathon of "31 Days of Horror," a name that several film blogs and websites have used when doing more or less the same thing. I will likely have some overlap with a project I'm helping out on at work, more details on that when it's announced.

I have hand-picked several films already that I want to include this year, but I'm far from finalizing anything yet. In fact, it will no doubt be determined as the month goes on. As a general guideline (but not a hard and fast rule) I will be leaning towards films I have not seen before. Here's the list of 21 films I watched last year which I absolutely won't be revisiting. Also, I want to dedicate one week to Asian horror in particular so I will need at least 7 of that make and origin. The last factor is whether the film is available to stream on Netflix or Hulu. It's not a deal-breaker but it would make my life, and your life should you care to play along, much easier. 



Here's a working list so far (in alphabetical order, numbered just so I know how many there are, Asian films are highlighted yellow):

  1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - NI
  2. The ABCs of Death* - NI
  3. Antarctic Journal - NI
  4. Bay of Blood - NI
  5. Black Sunday - NI
  6. Blood: The Last Vampire - NI
  7. Carrie - NI
  8. Carrie (2013)
  9. Come Out and Play - NI
  10. The Curse of February 29th - NI
  11. Faust - NI
  12. Häxan - H
  13. Howling - NI
  14. Kidnapped - NI (On Netflix, yes, but it's an awful English dub that should never be seen!)
  15. Kill, Baby... Kill! - NI
  16. Kill List - NI
  17. Nosferatu - NI
  18. Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht
  19. Onibaba - H
  20. Peeping Tom
  21. The Raven - NI
  22. [REC] 2 - NI
  23. [Rec] 3 Genesis - NI
  24. The Relic - NI
  25. Shutter - H
  26. Slugs - NI
  27. Strange Circus - NI
  28. Suspiria
  29. Tetsuo: The Bullet Man - NI
  30. Vampyr - H
  31. The Vanishing - H

H = Available for streaming on Hulu Plus
NI = Available for streaming on Netflix Instant

*I'm saving my final review and viewing culmination of this horror anthology for the last day. I've already seen it over two sittings, which I felt was a disservice to each short (let alone watching it all at once). Starting October 6th I plan of watching one of the films/letters a day and reviewing it piece-by-piece as the month goes on. This will be in addition to whatever feature-length horror I decide to watch each day.

There's my rough list of nominees. Here's where you come in. What horror films do you recommend for my marathon? Anything goes, but I'm especially interested in the bizarre, dated, foreign and otherwise spurned titles. If your pick is not listed above or among last year's 21 films, please share and suggest it in the comments below. 

Until October 1st, get scared!

4 comments:

Trentflix said...

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is not a horror although I agree that living in a society where women's rights are so oppressed would be a living-horror. (Did you ever get around to seeing 'The Skin I live In'?)

The only other film I've seen on the list is 'Nosferatu' and 'Blood: The Last Vampire' which I sincerely hope you're referring to the animated OVA and not the 2009 live action remake. See Also the 2 Vampire Hunter D films for their great artwork and fairly solid story. (I went through a vampire movie phase in my teens after playing Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines which is still one of the greatest video games ever'.)

Trentflix said...

Some films I was sincerely and unexpectedly impressed with was House on Haunted Hill (1959) and Carnival of Souls (1962). Must-see horror classics

J.S. Lewis said...

I've heard enough people call 4M3W2D a horror film (albeit, not your typical type, but it's always been the most welcoming genre in my opinion) that I've decided to consider it. I have not yet seen THE SKIN I LIVE IN, thanks for reminding me. I'll see about fitting that into the program.

I recently saw CARNIVAL OF SOULS which is a pretty great indie film in its day, loved all the connections and references to my home state (Utah). I remember seeing some of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL as a kid. One scene with a skeleton in a closet (literally if I'm recalling correctly) scared me good. It looks like it's on Netflix Instant. Also considering the original THE HAUNTING.

J.S. Lewis said...

I was actually referring to the 2009 live-action remake of BLOOD but after your words and remembering my experience with DEATH NOTE I'm seriously reconsidering.

Heard positive rumblings about both VAMPIRE HUNTER D and VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES, hope to seek them out in time. Thanks for the recommendations sir!