Tuesday, March 5, 2013

CUBE - SHORT REVIEW


Cube
September 9, 1997 (Toronto International Film Festival)
90 min
Canada (English)

Directed by Vincenzo Natali
Written by Vincenzo Natali, André Bijelic and Graeme Manson


The intriguing concept of "Cube" only lasts so long, unfortunately so does the unknown acting abilities of its stars (that is, until they open their mouths).

For me "Cube" is one of those films I've always heard about and have always been interested in seeing but wondered if I ever would. (Also, see my review of "Run Lola Run.") A movie about strangers who wake up to find themselves in a series of conjoined cubes and attempt to escape? Sure! Let's see what this is all about! Turns out it's all about nothing.

I watched the film yesterday and ever since I've been trying to think if in my recent memory I've seen a worse performance than Maurice Dean Wint as Quentin. He spouts his dialogue like a random marine you'd come across in a first-person shooter with all the wide-eyed theatrics of an irritating mad man. He takes the lead of the  pack and we learn he was a police officer before finding himself imprisoned. A math major, a nurse and (luckily) an escape artist are a few of the other souls involved.

Later on one of them realizes that they never should have left the room they started in. I kind of felt that way about the film. The production and art designers are the only stars in this short film concept that has been stretched to an excruciating running time. The last half hour is as exciting as watching someone zealously solving math problems because that's what it resorts to. 

"But it is pointless."
- Quentin




★½

CONTENT: bloody violence and strong language

No comments: