Sunday, February 24, 2013

OSCAR BOWLING (85TH ACADEMY AWARDS)


All right, I'm ready to go Oscar bowling for the first time ever. Basically you oredict the winners for each of the 24 categories for this year's Academy Award's and assign each a confidence score (1-24). The ones you are most sure about get the higher score, the ones you are still iffy on go lower. For each you get right you earn the assigned number. For example, I will be getting 24 points when "Amour" takes home the Oscar tonight. For more details about Oscar Bowling check out Jeff Bayer's post over on The Scorecard Review for complete rules and instructions. It's much more compelling than simply guessing who will win because it becomes a dynamic game that always changes. Yes, it's behind geeky. Is this what it feels like to play fantasy football? I wouldn't now. My picks were fleshed out from yesterday's Predictions & Picks post, ranking was the difficult part. Though I feel more confident about this than I did my Top Ten Films of the Year list which you can hear my co-host Trent and I disclose on our latest episode of The Film Tome Podcast: 2012: Year in Review. Therein we also discuss the Oscar predictions and have fun with some awards you won't be seeing tonight.


24 - Foreign Language Film – Amour
23 - Supporting Actress – Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
22 - Best Actor – Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
21 - Original Song – "Skyfall" (Skyfall)
20 - Achievement in Visual Effects – Life of Pi
19 - Achievement in Sound Editing – Zero Dark Thirty
18 - Achievement in Film Editing – Zero Dark Thirty
17 - Best Director – Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
16 - Live Action Animated - Paperman
15 - Documentary Short – Open Heart
14 - Live Action Short Film – Buzkashi Riders
13 - Supporting Actor – Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)
12 - Achievement in Cinematography – Roger Deakins (Skyfall)
11 - Documentary Feature - How to Survive a Plague
10 - Achievement in Sound Mixing – Les Miserables
09 - Achievement in Art Direction – Anna Karenina
08 - Achievement in Costume Design – Anna Karenina
07 - Adapted Screenplay – Tony Kushner (Lincoln)
06 - Original Screenplay – Michael Haneke (Amour)
05 - Best Lead Actress – Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)
04 - Animated Feature Film – FrankenWeenie
03 - Original Score – Lincoln
02 - Best Picture – Argo
01 - Achievement in Makeup – Les Miserables

There you have it! Later tonight we'll find how right/wrong I was. To make this a little more interesting Trent and I have a little bet going on. When I win Trent is going to have to sing one of Russell Crowe's songs from "Les Mis" (better than Crowe) on the podcast. If I were to somehow possibly lose I have to watch "Jack and Jill" and take studious notes... I've been avoiding that film like the plague. You can see Trent's Oscar Bowling post here.


As always share any of your Oscar predictions below. Are you going Oscar Bowling? Let it roll and let me know. You can follow me on Twitter (@thejslewis) for plentiful Oscar coverage, but I'll also be doing a live blog here on The Film Tome. Here's to tonight, enjoy the show!

No comments: