Tuesday, December 4, 2012

THE FILM TOME REPORT: ISSUE 91


(Author's Note: It's been several weeks since the last issue of The Film Tome Report. Thanksgiving, The Film Tome Podcast, and other projects have been chomping away at my time. All that aside, I blame sleep! Anyways, The Film Tome Report needs to change because The Film Tome needs to change. You can find movie news any and almost everywhere if you but look for it. While the stuff interests me intensely I simply cannot keep up with all of it (let alone blog about it each week). For me The Film Tome will be of most importance when I am talking about the films themselves and not necessarily the news that comes before them. I want to give a greater emphasis to reviews, analyses and lists of my own this coming year. I've already gotten a start with my new and improved Recently Beheld. And of course the podcast, young as it is, is something I am dedicated to. Fret not, Trailer Round-Up is not going anywhere. I do enjoy and find great use in that weekly series. The Film Tome Report is actually not going anywhere either, but you will find a significantly shorter issue each week. I will talk about the big stories and maybe for special occasions I will compile a smattering of related content, but do not expect me to highlight most of the segments on a weekly basis like I have strived to do in the past. Here's where you come in: If you like The Film Tome Report in any capacity, tell me what you like about it. Which segments are of the most interest and/or importance to you? Please comment below if you care to. Finally, I would like to yet again thank my talented sister Mandy for the updated banner at the top of the site! Have a great week and enjoy the issue.)


NEW IN THEATERS




This Week
  • Bad Kids Go to Hell*
  • Barbie: Princess Charm School*
  • Cheerful Weather for the Wedding*
  • Deadfall* / 50%
  • The Fitzgerald Family Christmas*
  • Hyde Park on the Hudson* / 58%
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Waiting for Lightning*


Last Week
  • The Collection / 44%
  • Dragon* / 88%
  • Killing Them Softly / 78%
  • Parked* / 70%
  • Silent Night* / 67%
  • Talaash* / 63%
  • Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning* / 53%
  • A Werewolf Boy*

* = limited release

NEW IN STORES



  • Beasts of the Southern Wild / 86%
  • The Dark Knight Rises / 87%
  • Hope Springs / 73%
  • The Odd Life of Timothy Green / 39%
  • Purple Noon CC / 100%
  • V/H/S / 51%

CC = Criterion Collection
% from Rotten Tomatoes

* * *

ENLISTED



The Oscar Race for Documentary Feature is well under way. The contenders have been whittled down from 100+ to just 15. Embarrassingly, I have only seen TWO of them... "The Imposter" is one of my favorite films of the year so I was pretty ecstatic to see it is still in the running. Sadly "Indie Game: The Movie," another of the year's best, did not make the cut.

* * *


THE GOOD



Check out the lineup for 2013 Sundance Film Festival. (Source: Indiewire)



Early reviews for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" are already pouring it, Criticwire has compiled some of them. They are mostly positive with some fair criticisms, especially regarding the 48 fps.

* * *

AND THE RANDOM



Scott Mendelson reviews the weekend box office where the last installment of the "Twilight" saga is still holding over strong.

 * * *

OR THE COOL





I praise "The Host" every chance I get. Check out this intense test footage for the sequel!


* * *

No comments: