Monday, October 1, 2012

OCTOBER 2012: 1 MONTH, 31 HORROR FILMS


While perusing Twitter this morning (the 2012 equivalent of reading the morning paper) I came across a little event getting underway at Live For Films (yes, I do by the way) called "31 Days of Horror." Basically the editors are going to be reviewing a new horror film each day of October, concluding on Halloween. They kicked things off with "Night of the Creeps."



I liked the idea so much that I decided to play along in my own way. I will watch a new horror movie every night and review it the following day. Tonight I am going to kick things off with Ti West's "The House of the Devil" (it is streaming on Netflix should you care to play along). Tomorrow I will post my review and then tomorrow night I will watch another. Rinse. Repeat. Lets see how long I will last (For the record, I am more worried about time than being too scared). If it's a success maybe I will attempt more marathons like this in the future. It is a type of "Super Size Me" (or Morgan Spurlock's subsequent "30 Days" series) for cinephiles.

Now, I have seen my fair share of horror, but it is a varied and misunderstood genre. It doesn't help that many of its denizens are terrible (either being depraved expressions or just plain bad filmmaking). It would be a miracle if I do not encounter such tripe this month. I have not planned out most of the following 30 films, so if you have a suggestion for a must-see classic or an overlooked gem I would love to hear it. (FYI: I plan on concluding my month of horror with one film in particular. It is often lauded as the greatest horror film ever made and yours truly has never gotten the nerve to see it! Any guesses?) In addition to covering these 31 offerings I will try to get around to writing on horror films I have seen and not yet reviewed.



One of my guides for this expedition is a fun little tome called "101 Horror Films You Must See Before You Die," one of many such titles in the series by Steven Jay Schneider. I am ashamed to say I have probably seen less than half (I still need to count it out) but hopefully I can come close to bridging this gap by the month's end. For better or worse, here goes something!

(Updated on 10/2/12)

No comments: