Friday, April 27, 2012

THE SEPTEMBER ISSUE - SHORT REVIEW

The September Issue
August 20, 2009
90 min


Directed by R.J. Cutler




A somewhat fascinating look into the making of Vogue's most important issue of the year and the more fascinating people behind it.


Here's one my fiancée made me sit through before she was my fiancée. An initiation? Perhaps. I did the same thing to her with "2001: A Space Odyssey." Trust me, it weren't for her, I would have never watched this documentary. A recent episode of Filmspotting: SVU reminded me that I had even seen it.


Anna Wintour is the powerful woman who sits on the throne at Vogue, a popular and successful fashion magazine. Behind those sunglasses and bangs is an unstoppable force in the world of fashion. It is her that inspired "The Devil Wears Prada." Wintour works with leading designers to pick the clothes that in turn make the issue. I knew very little about these matters beforehand so it was illuminating, but I am still not entirely interested. The great thing about many documentaries is that they are filled with eccentric folk. Trust me, the people who come up with these styles are pretty "out there" and make for captivating material themselves. Seek it out if you care about such things or try it if you care to learn. Otherwise you can pass this one by (unless the woman/man in your life insists). My time with it was far less burdensome than I initially thought.


★★★


CONTENT: brief strong language





No comments: