Saturday, February 25, 2012

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE OSCARS

DEFENDING THE ACADEMY


I have an attachment to the Oscars. I've watched the show since I was a boy. I still remember when Billy Crystal bursted on stage in 1998 on a Titanic-like stern. I eagerly await how he'll take the stage tomorrow night. I was stirred when James Cameron held a golden statuette in his hand by the end of the night and asked for everyone to join him in a moment of silence for those who died on the "unsinkable" ship. The mood changed when he proclaimed he was "King of the world." Over a decade later I watched as his ex-wife, Kathryn Bigalow, took home the Oscar for "The Hurt Locker," beating out Cameron's own "Avatar." Those were nights to remember.


Tomorrow night is the biggest in Hollywood. I will be tuning in live to watch the Academy Awards and posting a live blog until the show is over. Many people give the Oscars a bad rap, but I continue to follow the prestigious show. For one thing, I find it entertaining. I even found lots to enjoy in last year's show, widely considered one of the worst Oscar telecasts in modern memory. We still don't know what was going on with Franco that night...


Why do people dislike the Oscars? Probably because some of their favorite films of the year don't get recognized and/or they do not accept the films that do. Fair enough. But if you do not accept and acknowledge those with a differing opinion than your own, I can only imagine what life is going to hold in store for you. So what if "Drive" didn't receive any major nomination, there are plenty of other fish in the sea and it can still be a night to remember. This year there were nine important films nominated. Have you seen them all? You can always praise your own favorites.

After learning some of the process of the Academy, how the nominations and then the winners are decided, I feel it certainly worth considering. Filmmakers voting on other filmmakers... who better? Undoubtedly there's some politics involved, campaigning, kiss-ups, and make-ups, but in the end there is a great love for the movies, and that is what it should all be about.

MY PREDICTIONS AND MY WINNERS




I made an effort to see all the films nominated for Best Picture this year, two of which I squeezed in this last week. I revealed my feelings of the year 2011 in the tome already, and I will in yet another post. I felt it was the best year of movies in my life. I was probably seeing more current film this year than any other previous year of my life, but I still consider the pedigree to be extraordinary.

This is one of my my favorite activities in The Film Tome. I will list the nominees for the major categories (and any other I feel sufficiently capable of covering), predict who will win then declare who should win. Here we go!

* * *

Visual Effects

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Hugo
Real Steel
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

WILL: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
SHOULD: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

* * *

Music (Original Score)

John Williams (The Adventures of Tintin)
Ludovic Bource (The Artist)
Howard Shore (Hugo)
Alberto Iglesias (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
John Williams (War Horse)

WILL: Ludovic Bource
SHOULD: John Williams (The Adventures of Tintin)

* * *

Art Direction

The Artist
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
War Horse

WILL: The Artist
SHOULD: War Horse

* * *

Cinematography

Guillame Schiffman (The Artist)
Jeff Cronenweth (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Robert Richardson (Hugo)
Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life)
Janusz Kaminski (War Horse)

WILL: Emmanuel Lubezki
SHOULD: Emmanuel Lubezki

* * *

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

The Descendants
Hugo
The Ides of March
Moneyball
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

WILL: The Descendants
SHOULD: The Ides of March

* * *

Writing (Original Screenplay)

The Artist
Bridesmaids
Margin Call
Midnight in Paris
A Seperation

WILL: A Seperation
SHOULD: The Artist

* * *

Best Animated Feature

A Cat in Paris
Chico & Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango

WILL: Rango
SHOULD: Rango

* * *

Actress in a Supporting Role


Berenice Bejo (The Artist)
Jessica Chastain (The Help)
Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids)
Janet McTeer (Alberts Nobbs)
Octavia Spencer (The Help)

WILL: Octavia Spencer
SHOULD: Berenice Bejo

* * *

Actor in a Supporting Role


Kenneth Branagh (My Week With Marilyn)
Jonah Hill (Moneyball)
Nick Nolte (Warrior)
Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Max von Sydow (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close)

WILL: Christopher Plummer
SHOULD: Max von Sydow

* * *

Actress in a Leading Role

Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs)
Viola Davis (The Help)
Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
Michelle Williams (My Week with Marilyn)

WILL: Meryl Streep
SHOULD: Viola Davis

* * *

Actor in a Leading Role

Demian Bichir (A Better Life)
George Clooney (The Descendants)
Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
Gold Oldman (Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy)
Brad Pitt (Moneyball)

WILL: Jean Dujardin
SHOULD: Jean Dujardin

* * *

Directing

Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
Alexander Payne (The Descendants)
Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris)
Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life)

WILL: Michel Hazanavicius
SHOULD: Terrence Malick

* * *

Best Picture

The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse

WILL: The Artist
SHOULD: The Tree of Life

* * *

Enjoy the show!

2 comments:

Joshua Matern said...

I find it interesting that you only had two entries that were the same for will and should. Should be an excellent night!

Galyn said...

Your comments almost persuadeth me to be an Oscar viewer.