Saturday, August 14, 2010

INCEPTION - REVIEW

INCEPTION
Released 7.16.2010

Written and Directed by Christopher Nolan


Nolan and team have created an instant classic, one not for the faint of heart nor for the weak of mind. It challenges the audience and every other movie.

THE REIGN OF "INCEPTION"
"Inception" is now enjoying its 5th week in theaters, and I do mean enjoying. It has already accumulated more than it took to make (a handsome $160 million) domestically alone and continues to climb. It is nearing a half billion in worldwide grosses. Now for three uses of the number 3: "Inception" sat in the throne (the #1 spot in the weekend box office) its first 3 weeks out the gate. I've now seen the movie three times. And, it currently ranks #3 in IMDb's Top 250 (and has for the past few weeks). Remember, that is a list of the top rated movies of all-time. The Top 5 of the Top 250 now reads, "1. The Shawshank Redemption, 2. The Godfather, 3. Inception, 4. The Godfather: Part II, 5. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly." Ain't that something?

HERE WE GO (AGAIN)
Now... I could have easily written a review for "Inception" during its opening weekend, I saw it twice opening day for sake's sake! Rather than spew a stew of excuses as to why I, the sole curator in this Film Tome, have neglected my reviewing duties as of late, I will just emit my review for Nolan's latest and greatest. What better way to blow out the dust in my Film Tome catacombs than with a belated review of something like "Inception"?

INCEPTION
Cobb has quite the history.
Cobb is an extractor. Extraction is stealing an idea and it is done with a device that enables one to enter into another's dreams. Gone are the days of torturing people for information. Now, if you really want to know something, you break into someone (not someone's house, someone) and take it.
Cobb gets hired to perform inception. This is the opposite of extraction, meaning you break into someone and give something. Like extraction, it is information or rather, an idea.
Cobb has quite the history.

A BUILT NOLAN BUILDS
The paths of filmmakers are fascinating. There are several camps that many directors will fall into: Those who consistently deliver greatness (Terrence Malick and Martin Scorsese), those who you never know what to expect (Ang Lee and Clint Eastwood), and those of diminishing returns (I don't want to point any fingers). Some seem to progress, each film better than the next. Writer and director, Christopher Nolan, doesn't necessarily fall into that camp, but you can definitely see his progress and what he is building from. He's taken the mind-bending elements manifested in "Memento" and "The Prestige" and the action-packed scenes from "The Dark Knight" and crafted a hybrid of genres and techniques called "Inception." The result is nothing short of remarkable. That said, there are a few new ingredients that this British-American filmmaker is throwing in this time around (such as many differing locations). Pieced together, he goes places few filmmakers have gone before. While there are still two exploits in the "Nolan canon" I've yet to face (not that I don't want to, I most certainly do!), I'm as eager as a klepto in a pawn show to pronounce this his masterpiece.

A GLORIOUS ENSEMBLE
Last year, when I saw the first trailer for "Inception," the aspect I was most psyched about was the star-studded cast. With three of my personal favorites (Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ken Watanabe) and Ellen Page (who proved her acting chops to me in "Juno") I was 100% onboard for the release. Those four are exceptional herein, particularly Leo. They've all given better performances elsewhere (in fact, just earlier this year for Leo in "Shutter Island"), but they get the job done and done so well. Cillian Murphy is as fabulous as ever and Tom Hardy was a welcome new face for me. It was fun to see Lukas Haas onscreen again, if only for the first fifteen minutes (he and Gordon-Levitt rocked my cinematic world in of the best indie neo-noir set in a high school flick ever, "Brick"). Dileep Rao, who we all saw in "Avatar" and don't remember, does dandy work here and is at times quite comical.

Finally, Marion Cotillard is a definite highlight and needs mentioning. She delivers a chilling performance as Mal, which adds an entire new layer to the already immense experience that is "Inception." The film carries much more weight because her performance works. The story sets us up to dread and even disdain this character, but as the film unravels and as you ponder it afterwards (especially after having seen it three times), you realize there's much more to her, especially when you consider who she is in this film. What I deem the most important moment in the entire narrative is the exchange between Mal and her husband, Cobb (Leo), in the film's final act. It is a commentary on and account of true love, a scarce principle in blockbuster films. It was on my third viewing that this scene really registered with me. I recently had a conversation with a good friend about critiquing film. He acknowledged all the filmmaking aspects and their importance, but told me he ultimately judges films based on how they make him feel. We sometimes accuse "film critics" of being jaded, or should I say having "waxed cold." While there may be some who fit this description, I think it wholly unfair. Ultimately, I can only speak for myself and so I declare that the way I feel is the first and last and everything in between when it comes to judging films. Being a cinephile and film scholar (in a college setting and in my own right) I have learned more about the filmmaking aspects, and that is all they are and all they will ever be... aspects. They're important. No doubt. They have place in a review. No doubt. They influence and inspire on their own. No doubt. But when it comes down to the movie in its entirety, I too judge based on how I feel.

I believe this section was meant to address the acting. I smile. That is the joy of writing, you never know where the word after the next word might take you. The fact that this scene in "Inception" took me to this declaration should further testify its grandeur. That fact that the performances of two actors took me to this study should further testify their talent. To sum up my thoughts on acting... I am proud to say my initial impressions when I saw the first trailer all those months ago proved true, this is one of the most sterling ensemble casts in recent memory.

THE EFFECT
When confronting the topic of dreams in filmmaking, you have to realize that a certain door is being opened. Inside that door, anything goes. Some have criticized aspects that hold no weight due to the aforementioned principle. In a way, he has made the story "critic proof." It is a brilliant idea. I bet some wish they had extracted it from Nolan before he got around to actually making it. Along with this concept of dreams is the notion of time within the dreams, namely five minutes in the real world will give you an hour on the first level and more so the deeper you go (a la entering Narnia). It is an enchanting characteristic that plays a major role in how things play out. Because of this "time-expansion" we get some devastatingly awesome moments. There is a fight scene just over halfway through that blew me away. A friend of mine who I saw it with during my first viewing commented on how it gave him goosebumps. I concurred and got the same result again and again. Not since the Wachowski Brothers brought us "The Matrix" have we seen action quite like this.

It is a combination of things that provides such effects on the audience. The mind-boggling subject matter, the overall plot (Nolan has such confidence in his audience that he leaves us in the dark for most of the first act, much is explained and shown as we go along), the orienting camera work, and the elegant special effects all work together to daze and dazzle. The first time I saw "Inception" I was in constant awe and in danger of jaw-dislocation. The second time I noticed my heart beating rapidly throughout and for nearly fifteen minutes after the credits had rolled. The third time I saw it at the Megaplex 17 in Jordan Commons. I was treated to better audio and video than what I had been getting at the Cinemark. I was blown away, again. I think if I experience this film in IMAX I'll never sleep again.

A big part of the "Inception"-effect owes thanks to Hans Zimmer's mighty score. He is the name behind the grand music of "The Pirates of the Caribbean," "Gladiator," and "The Thin Red Line." The pounding theme for "Inception" was so memorable from the trailers and is downright sensational while in the theater. I've purchased a few numbers from the soundtrack and can muster up a flavor of the feeling when I blast it in my car (if you love the music as much as I do go to iTunes and download "Dream is Collapsing" and "Time"). The latter is the song that plays during the film's final minutes (before the credits roll) and is absolutely beautiful, adding considerably to the power of the adjoining imagery.

LIVING ON
"Inception" is going to live on. Anyone who sees it will not forget it anytime soon. It is an impossibility for someone not to converse about it after viewing it. Discussions and questions and theories and statements galore will abound those walking out of the theater and on the drive home and the morning after. People all around you are secretly designing and crafting their own totems, which they will keep in their pockets evermore. If you were to dip into the message boards at IMDb for "Inception" you would be stunned, first by the amount of content (I just checked, even now it is averaging a new post every other minute) and then by the ideas and theories circulated therein that you never even considered. I've spent more time than I care to admit reading and posting in there (a limbo in its own right). Then, perhaps the best way "Inception" will remain with us: dreams. We all dream. Every night. You awake and think about what was just happening. It was so real. You try to remember, but it's like water in a raised colander. You think about where you are, what you need to do today, this, that, and then it's gone. We could be in limbo every night and not even remember it. Whenever we think about our dreams or the practice altogether, chances are that our minds will be led to "Inception."


★★★★★



CONTENT: sequences of action and violence, some language

Updated 9.14.2011

6 comments:

tifsong said...

brilliant.

Joshua the Great said...

Excellent commentary. A sound choice of words and an honest expression of feeling and opinion.

Bryson D. Kearl said...

So is Inception on any of your top movie lists? I can think of one film it could replace. :)

Galyn said...

Since I have not seen the movie, and probably won't, I can't really comment on your critique of it. However, I always like to read what you write and how you use words and how they flower my mind with images. There have been a few dreams I have remembered and some I wish I could forget. A couple of questions for you: What do you think happens to our spirits while our bodies are sleeping? Do you think they need to rest as well? Will we need to rest or sleep in the spirit world?

I do know that everyone I know that has seen Inception thought it was a great movie. Sounds like it is a movie that needs repeated viewings to get the most out of it.

Anonymous said...

"Anyone who sees it will not forget it anytime soon." Said Jared, and yet, you had to remind me that I have seen it. I'm getting old. Your reviews are always so observant; from the music, the camera angles, the acting, scene selection, etc. I just go to a movie, think about it for a few minutes and say "...good movie..." you dissect, examine, probe, sniff, feel, taste, ponder, and devour. Great review. I think you should submit your reviews to a newspaper. You have made me look deeper into the many movie reviews I have read of yours, and realize that I am still in first gear in the Ferrari of movie watching experience. Scott

Bryson and Tara said...

Brilliant review, Bob Jacobs. I second Scott's recommendation. You should submit these reviews to someone.

I totally agree. Inception blew my mind and I can't wait to watch it again. And I'm going to iTunes right now to get those songs! :)